E-Commerce Statistics: Some Quick Numbers To Help Us Digest The SizeDecember 17, 2012 3:22 pm
We spotted some very handy stats on e-commerce today from AVC:
1. ecommerce revenues topped $200bn in the US in 2011 and are growing at close to 10% annually.
2. Global ecommerce revenues are at least double that, maybe as much as $500bn
3. Amazon is the world’s largest online retailer. Amazon’s revenues in the past four quarters were approximately $55bn. We can safely assume that some 50 billion of that was from retailing.
4. Amazon’s gross margin ranges between 20% and 25%
5. Pre-tax margins for online retailers will typically be in the sub 10% range, often less than 5%.