2-Minute Version of Mary Meeker’s Internet Trends ReportDecember 6, 2012 8:13 am
We spotted the following five clues, from Mary Meeker’s latest Report on Internet Trends:
1. Notice Where The Internet Is Growing Fast: PG says Startups = Growth. Jeff Bezos picked up the Internet as a destination because of the growth rates he noticed. On those lines, Internet is growing fastest in Iran,Indonesia,Argentia,Columbia, Philipines and India, in that order. Specifically, Iran is a good candidate with 205 percent growth YoY.
2. The Anomaly Called India: Among the emerging and developing nations, there is a very clear trend of Mobile Internet surpassing Desktop Internet – these markets seem to be the beneficiaries of new and affordable mobile devices that has enabled them to “skip” the desktop internet phase. India is an example of this trend.
3. Emergence of the Second Screen: Every Third Adult In the U.S. Owns Tablet / eReader. Remember this: iPad Growth = 3X iPhone Growth (Android Growth = 6X iPhone Growth)
4. Mobile Advertising Has Huge Upside Potential: Mobile monetization today is 67% Apps, 33% Ads. Plus Mobile is just 13 percent (up from 1 percent in 2009 Dec) – There it is, terrific growth area again.
5. Platforms Change The Distribution Game Completely: Platforms that provide great distribution in a short time (e.g. Facebook) change the distribution game completely.