US Postal Service: Some Interesting StatisticsJune 6, 2011 10:51 am
We spotted some interesting statistics on the US postal service today:
1. Total mail volume decreased 20 percent from 2006 to 2010.
2. With 571,566 full-time workers, the USPS is the country’s second-largest civilian employer after Wal-Mart.
3. It operates 31,871 post offices, more than the combined domestic retail outlets of Wal-Mart, Starbucks and McDonald’s.
80 percent of the USPS budget goes to salaries and benefits.
4. It’s been losing money since 2006, including nearly $20 billion since 2007.
5. The agency is now almost $15 billion in debt. Unless the government steps in, it will default on $5.5 billion of retiree health-care costs in September. By October it will reach its legal debt limit, and by the end of the year, the USPS will be out of cash — insolvent and unable to operate.
Statistics Source: Freakanomics